These are my latest shared finds and must-reads
“Where an optimist might see, in the decoupling of the past few decades, signs that growth and climate solutions can coexist, a pessimist might find the degrowth diagnosis more persuasive: that our growth-focused society clearly isn’t up to the task of solving climate change.” Can we save the planet by shrinking the economy? https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22408556/save-planet-shrink-economy-degrowth viaContinue reading “Degrowth ?”
The world is much better. The world is awful. The world can be much better. All three statements are true. — Read on ourworldindata.org/much-better-awful-can-be-better
“Extremist leaders remain in power in some of the world’s most populous democracies. But even some of those strongmen are now starting to face a real reversal of fortune. Jair Bolsonaro, a former army captain known for his extremist rhetoric and open nostalgia for Brazil’s departed military dictatorship, unexpectedly assumed the country’s presidency in 2019.Continue reading “Peak populism”
Too much of a good thing can be a very bad thing: Technology’s Future>Why we must act now — COGNITIVE WORLD
Within the next five years, I think we are going to see new stock markets emerge (such as the still-nascent LTSE in San Francisco) where companies that operate on the premise of “People, Planet, Purpose and Prosperity” will be listed. EUROPE should seize this opportunity and take the lead! — Read on cognitiveworld.com/articles/2021/5/15/too-much-of-a-good-thing-can-be-a-very-bad-thing-technologys-future
“Then, as travel was canceled for the rest of 2020, corporates realized just how much they were saving on travel costs. For HSBC it was about $300 million according to the bank’s most recent results. But a slow resurgence is now underway. According to data from TravelPerk, a travel management company for businesses, U.S. domesticContinue reading “Travel post COVID”
“Sometimes this obsession with risk turns into what the Atlantic’s Derek Thompson calls “hygiene theater.” It has been apparent that the virus overwhelmingly spreads by breathing, not by touching surfaces. Yet businesses have made a great show of sanitizing everything, as if activities such as indoor dining are somehow safe if only the tables areContinue reading “Covid security theatre”
“Only about 3% of the animal biomass left on the Earth’s land surface is wild, the other 97% being humans and our food animals. Wilson’s plan, if we were to pursue it, would address this shocking imbalance. It has the additional advantage of efficiently pulling vast amounts of carbon out of the atmosphere.” Kim StanleyContinue reading “EO Wilson half earth plan”
“For now cited high risk examples fall into the following categories: Biometric identification and categorisation of natural persons; Management and operation of critical infrastructure; Education and vocational training; Employment, workers management and access to self-employment; Access to and enjoyment of essential private services and public services and benefits; Law enforcement; Migration, asylum and border controlContinue reading “Europe takes the lead on AI regulation”
“Workers still have to show up at a factory and assemble products, and quality control may demand overseas travel from time to time, but many other activities—including investment due diligence, relationship-building with suppliers and customers, and even research and development—have unexpectedly and perhaps permanently gone remote” These Technologies Could Hold Back Business Travel Indefinitely https://www.wsj.com/articles/these-technologies-could-hold-back-business-travel-indefinitely-11618632059Continue reading “Remote work is here to stay”
Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.